How to log in to your WordPress Dashboard
At Porkbun, we value your security above all else. With any WordPress-powered site on our web hosting, we do not allow logging in via the default WordPress login page (wp-login.php) due to security issues leaving the URL exposed.
You may be asking, how do I log into my WordPress Dashboard then? Depending on which Porkbun platform your WordPress site is hosted on, we have two easy methods that allow you to log in. We can also provide a suggestion for a plugin, in case you really want to log in via an alternative URL. Let's get started!
How to log into your Easy Wordpress Dashboard
- Log in. This should take you to the Domain Management screen. If you're already logged in, click on ACCOUNT in the top right, and select Domain Management.
- In the block of icons next to your domain, click the leftmost icon for your Easy WordPress. This should bring you to the Easy WordPress page. If you don't see that icon and haven't set up your Easy WordPress hosting yet, you can use this guide to set it up.
- On the Easy WordPress hosting page, locate the WordPress Login section and select the green "Direct Admin Login" page. This will take you directly to your WordPress Dashboard, where you can start to build and manage your WordPress site.
How to log in to the WordPress dashboard in cPanel
If you want to directly log into WordPress via your cPanel hosting, the process is a little more extensive. First, you need to ensure you have set up your cPanel hosting properly and installed Softaculous within your cPanel. Once you have done so, you are ready for the next steps.
- Log in. You should arrive at the Domain Management screen. If you're already logged in, click on ACCOUNT in the top-right corner and select Domain Management.
- Locate the domain to which you wish to add Wordpress. To the right of the domain is a block of icons. Click the "cPanel" icon that is in the leftmost of that block.
- On the next screen, click "Login" in the Software Installation area.
- If you have already installed Softaculous in Porkbun, you should arrive on the Softaculous page. Select the purple "Installations" button in the upper left corner.
- On the Scripts Installation page, select the person icon to the right of your domain name. This will automatically log you in to your WordPress Dashboard.
How to configure an Alternative URL for WordPress
If you really miss being able to log in from a URL, we recommend using a plugin such as WPS Hide Login.
- In your WordPress dashboard, locate the Plugins in the side console. In the menu that appears, click "Add New", which will bring you to the Plugins page.
- In the bar on the top left, enter "WPS Hide Login". When you see the WPS plugin shown in the search results, select "Install Now". Once the plugin is fully installed, select the blue "Activate" button to activate the plugin.
- Once your plugin is successfully activated, you are going to want to configure it so you can use an alternative URL.
- Go back to the side console, select Settings. In the menu that appears, select "WPS Hide Login".
- This will take you to the bottom of the General page of Settings, where you see the WPS Hide login section. From there, enter the URL you want. In this example, I am making porky-login my login URL.
- Once you are done entering in your new login URL, select the blue "Save Changes" button.
- Now, you can type in your new alternative URL into your browser and you should see the WordPress login screen. Enter in your username and whatever secure password you created previously. Select the blue "Login" button and you should be logged back into your WordPress Dashboard.
We strongly suggest not making your alternative URL "wp-admin" or "wp-login" with the WPS Hide Login plugin. This can lead to making your website vulnerable and security issues.