How to transfer a .uk domain to Porkbun
We know how difficult it can be to transfer a .uk, .co.uk, .me.uk, or .org.uk domain from one registrar to another. Unlike other types of domains, the .uk family of domains is pushed by the old registrar to the new one. By contrast, .com is pulled from the old registrar by the new one.
Despite that, we've created a smooth process for transferring in .uk domains. It's a bit of a bodge that involves adding your domain first as a Hosting-Only Domain (even if you're not hosting with us).
In doing so, we can verify you're the domain's owner before the domain arrives. This eliminates the annoying, insecure manual verification process seen at other registrars. Here's how to get started:
- Log in. You should arrive at the Domain Management screen.
Click on ACCOUNT in the top-right corner and select Add Hosting Only Domain.
- In the box that appears, scroll past the blue message at the top, and type in the domain you wish to transfer to Porkbun, then click Submit.
- Look for the section in the blue box that appears that reads DNS Ownership Verification.
- At your current DNS host (probably your registrar or web host), add the TXT record that appears. The hostname (sometimes called a subdomain) will be bun-verify and for the answer or response, use the value listed under Answer in the blue box (this is how we prove you are the owner of the domain.)
- You may need to contact technical support at your current registrar or web host to add this TXT record. Then click the pink "Submit and Verify" button in the Add Hosting Only window:
Once the domain has been added as a Hosting-Only domain, there are only two remaining steps to be completed at your old registrar: First, unlock the domain, then assign the
PORKBUN IPS tag.
Transferring from GoDaddy? Click here to read GoDaddy's article about how to transfer a domain away. Take special note of step 4, that is when you'll input PORKBUN as your IPS tag.
Transferring from Namecheap? Click here to read Namecheap's article about how to assign the PORKBUN IPS tag
- Wait for our email. A few minutes after you successfully apply the PORKBUN IPS tag at your old registrar, your Hosting-Only domain will be converted to a normal Porkbun domain, and we'll email you to let you know.
Congrats, your .uk domain is now registered at Porkbun! Please note that since you were not charged by Porkbun to transfer in your domain, we don't add an additional year of registration. If your domain is close to expiration or has expired, here's how to renew it now.