How to transfer a domain to Porkbun from any registrar
So, you’ve got a domain at another registrar and you want to transfer it to Porkbun. Let’s do it!
- Unlock your domain at your old registrar.
- Turn off the WHOIS Privacy service for your domain at your old registrar. This service is sometimes called "private registration" or "protected registration."
- Grab an authorization code (aka EPP key) from your old registrar. This key is a one-use password that allows you to transfer your domain to another registrar, in this case, Porkbun.
- Initiate the transfer at https://porkbun.com/transfer
- Type in your domain to be transferred under Domain Name, then copy the authorization code from your old registrar and paste it into the Auth Code field. Hit Submit.
The transfer(s) will be added to your cart. From Your Cart, click "Continue to Billing" to pay for your transfers.
Now we play the waiting game…
Now that you’ve initiated the transfer, it can take up to five business days to complete. Some registrars will expedite transfers out if you contact their support department once the transfer is in process… but not all.
You can check on the status of pending transfers by logging into your Porkbun account and clicking "Transfer" at the top left corner of the page.
There are a few scenarios where you simply can't transfer a domain to Porkbun… or anywhere else.
Was your domain first registered fewer than 60 days ago? If so, you’ll need to wait until the 60-day mark before transferring it to Porkbun. We feel your pain, but our hands are tied.
Was your domain transferred fewer than 60 days ago? Same deal as above. ICANN rules say a domain must stay at one registrar for 60 days before it can be transferred to another.
Did your domain expire recently, or is it about to expire? Your old registrar has the right to prevent transfers of expired domains. Additionally, if you renew an already-expired domain at your old registrar, then transfer the domain to Porkbun within 45 days, your registration may not be extended for an additional year. For more information, check out our guide "If I transfer a domain to Porkbun, will I lose any existing months or years of registration?"
Does your domain already have more than nine years of registration? Since domains can only ever have ten years registration max, sometimes the registry won't allow transfers that already have nine years of registration.