How to connect your domain to Shopify
Want to link your domain to your Shopify store? We can do that! Before we begin, you will need to add your domain to Shopify. This article from the Shopify help center will show you how.
You will need to add A records and a CNAME record for your domain to work. Let's start with your A records.
Setting up your domain's A records
- Log in. You should arrive at the Domain Management screen. If you're already logged in, click on ACCOUNT in the top-right corner and select Domain Management.
- Click the Details button to the far right of your domain, to show the domain Details area. In the domain Details area, click the "Edit" option next to DNS records.
- On the Manage DNS Records screen, scroll down and locate any A, ALIAS, or CNAME records that are currently pointing at the wrong web server. Click the trash can icons to the right of the bad records to remove them. Your default records will likely answer pixie.porkbun.com, those are the ones to delete.
- Add a new A record. Scroll to the top of the Manage DNS Records screen, and enter the following information:
- Type is set to "A - Address record"
- Host is left blank
Answer is set to "188.8.131.52"
- ...then click add.
Setting up your domain's CNAME record
Next, we will want to add the CNAME record. Here's how:
- Return to the Manage DNS Records screen.
- Scroll up to the top to add another record. The second record will have the following fields:
- Type is set to "CNAME - Canonical name record"
- Host is set to "www"
- Answer is set to "shops.myshopify.com"
- Once those fields are entered, hit add.
- Click the X icon in the top right of the popup box to close the "Manage DNS Records"
That's it! You have connected your domain to Shopify. It can take up to 48 hours for these changes to go through. You will also want to verify your connection in Shopify. This article from the Shopify help center gives you further instructions:
"Click Verify Connection in your Shopify admin to confirm that your custom domain has been connected to your store."
Adding a Subdomain
If you would like to add a subdomain, you can do so by creating another CNAME record. Just enter in the Host field what you would like the subdomain to be (ex. www, shop, store). Below is an example: