How to connect your domain to Big Cartel
Want to link your domain to your Big Cartel store? We can help you do that with our handy dandy Quick DNS Config Tool. Let's get started!
- Log in. You should arrive at the Domain Management screen. If you're already logged in, click on ACCOUNT in the top-right corner and select Domain Management.
Locate the domain you wish to update. Click the "Details" button to the far right of your domain, displaying the domain Details area. Then go to the DNS Records section and select "Edit."
On the MANAGE DNS RECORDS pop-up, scroll down till you see our Quick DNS Config section.
- Select the "Big Cartel" button in the Quick DNS Config section. A pop-up will appear asking if you are sure you want to reconfigure your domain's DNS records. Select the blue "OK" button to continue.
You will be redirected to the ADDITIONAL DNS REQUIREMENTS pop-up window. You will want to add the CNAME record related to your Big Cartel store.
Your CNAME record is for the subdomain of your Big Cartel store. You can set the subdomain in the Host field to "www" or whatever subdomain you'd like (such as store, shop, etc.).
- Porkbun takes care of your root domain by automatically creating a URL forward from your root domain to your subdomain. This way, if users type in "yourdomain.com," it will redirect to your Big Cartel subdomain.
- Once you have double-checked your CNAME record and made sure everything looks correct, you can select the blue "Submit" button.
- A success message will appear, letting you know that we were able to update your DNS records. You should now see your DNS records successfully updated to the Big Cartel DNS under Current Records.
That's it! You have connected your domain to Big Cartel. It can take up to 48 hours for these changes to go through. You will also want to update these changes on their site. This article from the Big Cartel Help Area gives you further instructions:
"Head to Account > Edit your shop info > Add a custom domain and click Add domain in your Big Cartel admin. Enter your full custom URL (ex: www.mybigcartelstore.com) into the custom domain field, and be sure to click Save."