How to connect your domain to Bigcartel
Want to link your domain to your Big Cartel store? We can do that!
You will need to add a CNAME record and an ALIAS record for your domain to work. Let's get started!
Setting up your domain's CNAME record
Log in. You should arrive at the Domain Management screen. If you're already logged in, click on ACCOUNT in the top-right corner and select Domain Management.
- Click the drop-down list to the far right of your domain. Then click the "Edit" option next to DNS records.
- On the Manage DNS Records screen, scroll down and locate any A records that are currently pointing at the wrong web server. Click the trash can icons to the right of the bad records to remove them.
- Add a new CNAME record:
- Scroll to the top of the Manage DNS Records screen, and enter the following information.
- Type is set to "CNAME - Canonical name record"
- Host is set to "www" or whatever sub-domain you'd like (such as store, shop, etc.)
- Answer is set to FULL-URL-OF-STORE (example: goosehollowdesign.bigcartelstore.com )
- ...then click add.
- Now, we'll want to add an "ALIAS- CNAME flattening" record. The Host field should be blank, and the answer should be the same provided host name as step 4.
That's it! You have connected your domain to Big Cartel. It can take up to 48 hours for these changes to go through. You will also want to update these changes on their site. This article from the Big Cartel Help Area gives you further instructions:
"Head to Account > Edit your shop info > Add a custom domain and click Add domain in your Big Cartel admin. Enter your full custom URL (ex: www.mybigcartelstore.com) into the custom domain field, and be sure to click Save."